Buddhas Anyone?

Buddhas Anyone?

Monday, February 14, 2011

Motorcycle Taxis Everywhere!

OK, So I don't exactly have a picture of a motorcycle taxi but if I hadn't read  the novel Bangkok 8 I would not have know that the groups of men I was seeing in orange vests were motorcycle taxis.  These are some shots from walking the flower market the day we filled our room with flowers.  it was a slow time at the market because it was late afternoon;  I just want to show how crowded everything is and that it is hard to pick out, sort out exactly what you are looking at SOOoooo...


This is a copy buying flowers.  ANYWAY, staying at Tenface we would take the BTS sky train to a stop, call them and they would arrive with a tuk-tuk to take us back.  sometimes we had to wait too long and I figured out that while we were waiting we were watching people on motorcycle taxis and there was stop right where we were so I said to Debbie that my feet hurt too much, I don't want to wait, let's try the taxi and she was in.  We had been watching how people ride and the woman would all side saddle because they were wearing skirts and for whatever reason to not make the trip to intimate I suppose.  Men would hold on to the back bar.  Not for me. too scary so I straddled this guy who was a little shocked I am sure as much about my size as my willingness to just jump on.  I tried to just hold his shoulders while he drove but he was going over speed bumps and potholes and animals and holy shit, I just wrapped my arms around his waist, he made this funny sound and I had such a great time on that ride!  I look behind me and Miss. Deb is side saddling!!!  WHaaaaat?!  Well, we chose it as our favorite mode of transport and enjoyed every minute of our 10 baht rides.  I would pay double for the extra service provided, ehem.  Twenty baht is about .60.  We will find some better city shots to post!! Meanwhile, here are a couple more flower market photos....

Delivering roses.  we bought one of those bunches for $3.00 the day before Valentine's day!!

Tuk-tuk probably making a delivery to a funeral

Monks buy flowers too.
Hand made brooms and feather dusters out of duck feathers maybe?

No dog that has an owner goes undressed.  There are simply no naked dogs unless they are street dogs. In the heat it is so surprising and some of these outfits are ridiculous.  This is an amulet vendor who is selling stainless steel chains to wear with the amulet of your choice.

2 comments:

  1. Is there some way that we can ensure my mother does not see that last picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too late, Nick! I want to see the video of Lori on the motorcycle taxi.

    ReplyDelete